Friday, September 11, 2009

Where were You?



Where were you 8 years ago?

I was a brand new mother with an 8 week old baby. I was babysitting my nephew who was 18 months old. I turned on the news to see what the weather was going to be like before I dressed (you never can tell in September)and that's when I saw it. All the terror and confusion. News casters seemed panicked. I watched as the buildings filled with smoke and fire. I watched as the second plane hit. I cried as they speculated how many people were in the buildings. I watched as the smoke and people began pouring out. I watched some fall to their deaths. I watched others emerge from the buildings crying. I watched the buildings fall one by one. I cried. I breast fed and cried. The babies were so quiet that day. They let me watch TV all day long. I don't think I heard a peep out of either of them. All I could do was cry. Then I cried for the passengers of the plane and the workers in the Pentagon.

Then everyday heroes emerged and I was so proud to be American.




This is where I clipped these photos from:
http://911.navexpress.com/

4 comments:

Margene said...

I was at home watching it too. Emily, catherine's friend) called and asked to come over so she wouldn't have to be home alone. We just watched and wondered what would happen next.

Julie said...

I was driving to work in SLC and heard it on the radio. First tower hit. They said it must have been an accident. Then 2nd hit. Knew it was no accident. Arrived at work and watched the towers fall on TV. My co-workers and I sat there stunned. Went home from work early that day and spent the rest of the day watching TV and crying (and most of the rest of the week too). A day I'll never forget.

emlizalmo said...

I seriously remember every detail. I was completely consumed...for days. Consumed and really, really sad. Overwhelmed with patriotism though. I am so grateful for this country. <3

williamsfam5 said...

I cried too. And then I had to go to the first day of school at a Parent- Child Preschool class that I was teaching. My daughter Brooklyn was one and she, with all the other kids played innocently at the tables while me and the other mothers sat and wondered what this meant and what it would bring. And then I came home and cried some more. In fact, if I think about that day too much, I'll cry again. Thanks for your lovely memorial.