Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oh. My. Gosh.

This is the best salmon I have ever made. It might be the best salmon I have ever tasted. It combines some of my favorite flavors.

I loved the fish and the glaze. I put the glaze on the fish before cooking and after. I put the buttered glaze on my rice. I put the glaze on my vegetables. Then I licked it off the plate. When I started to lick the kids plates my husband said I was being gross. This from a man who thinks it's romantic to waft his stinky leftover fart with the bed covers... imagine.

I would have taken a fancy picture with my fancy new camera but it was all the way up in the cupboard so the kids won't get to it and I was WAY to hungry. But believe you me the plates looked so pretty. The pink of the salmon against the white of my corelle plate and the sprig of cilantro sitting on the top just right

My friend Matt gave me this recipie and he got it from Cooks Illustrated and I tweeked it a tiny bit.

Sweet Jalapeño Glazed Salmon:

INGREDIENTS:
1 C JALAPENO JELLY (I make it every year at Christmas and don't have that many friends)
1/2 C PACKED FRESH CILANTRO LEAVES AND STEMS
1 TSP GRATED FRESH LIME ZEST AND
2 TBSP FRESH LIME JUICE
2 SCALLIONS, CHOPPED
2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
2 TBSP UNSALTED BUTTER
4 (6-8 OZ) SKINLESS SALMON FILLETS, ABOUT 1.25 INCHES THICK (I had salmon and something white... I think Rock Bass from San Felipe? I'm pretty sure it was fish)
SALT AND PEPPER


DIRECTIONS:
1. Process the jelly, cilantro, lime ingredients, scallions, and garlic a
food processor until smooth. (I used a blender)
2. Transfer the glaze to a small saucepan and cook over medium until just
bubbling (about 2 minutes). Measure out and reserve 1/4 cup of the
glaze.
3. Stir the butter in to the remaining glaze.
4. Use heavy-duty tin foil to make four 7×5 trays.(I had no idea what the
crap they were talking about, I covered the wire part of the BBQ with
foil and sprayed with Pam then slapped the fish on there.)
5. Coat the trays with spray oil.
6. Season the fillets with salt and pepper and brush each fillet well with
1tbsp of the reserved 1/4c of sauce.
7. Put the fillets on the trays.
8. Place the trays on the cooking grill.
9. Cook until the glaze forms a golden brown crust (6-8 minutes).
10. Flip the fillets, keeping them in the trays, and spoon half of the
buttered glaze over the salmon.
11. Continue to cook until the fish is done (opaque and flaky)
12. Transfer the trays to a wire rack, tent loosely with foil and let rest
for five minutes. Transfer the fillets to a platter, spoon the
remaining buttered glaze on top and serve.

9 comments:

Brenda said...

Ha Ha Ha - licked the plate - leftover farts - ha ha ha.

Margene said...

I will have to try it on some of the fish that John gave me from Mexico.

Emily said...

I have to tell Matt you blogged about him - he will be so honored. I loved the glaze too. Mmmmm. Totally worth the heartburn.

You guys need to come & see us sometime & we will make this fish. :) Did your kids like it? We have to cook their fish plain, because our kids aren't mature enough to appreciate jalapenos.

Matthew said...

I've made it! I never in a million years thought I'd make it to the Snows Online.

Glad you liked it. And, you're right-- almost every good flavor is included:

Fatty. (check)
Spicy. (check)
Sweet. (check)
Salty. (check)
Fishy. (check)

Missing:
Chocolaty-- but you can include that in the desert.

Avacadoey-- Hmmm. Maybe you'll have to work on that puzzle for me.

Taylor Swim said...

Forget the fish-- I want a picture of you licking the plate. You are too funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, this recipe is perfect. I LOVE jalapenos(I grew a ton in my garden this year)& salmon. I'll have to learn how to make the jelly too.

Shannon said...

It's the jalapeno jelly that scares me on this one. Can you do it with out?

The Snow Queen said...

Shannon - I would imagine you can do it without, but seriously you don't want to. The jelly isn't spicy, well at least the one I make. I'll make sure you get a jar for Christmas this year!

Julie said...

I'm scared of spicy too. I don't like jalapenos. But the mouth of my Chile-fire breathing husband will love it! I'll have to give it a try.