Thursday, August 23, 2007

No pictures just writing please

I have been thinking more and more lately about some of the goals that I set for myself way back when I had no idea what life was. I found a paper the other day with my handwriting on it in a set of old seminary scriptures. Which by the way have all been donated to aid those non readers who think that they must check out a set from the library each and every Sunday. It was some kind of goal list that I had done in Young Womens. Aside from being hilarious it was also very telling. Here are some of the goals:
  • I was to marry, in the temple, a blonde man who was tall, with blue eyes, and wonderful long curly surfer like hair, while Dave fits some of the description the hair is rapidly deteriorating and I think that without the top we might be able to get a few curls if he would quit shaving it. Somehow i don't think that I imagined a man with only a few stringy curls hanging off the sides.
  • I was to go to Europe and see the sights. I'm glad that I didn't say eat because I didn't do much of that because that cost money and I had none at the time. But I did see the sights!
  • I was to go to Jerusalem. I think that that one will have to wait until fewer people are kidnapped and beheaded in the middle east. What do you think?
  • Graduate from college. Check
  • Get my medallion. Check
  • Get and A on the geometry test on Friday... Does an A- in the class as a whole count?
  • Serve a mission. Check
  • Kiss Ian Shoenburger. Never got close. Sorry to say but I think the boat sailed on this one ladies and gentlemen. Dave doesn't really like when I kiss strange men.
  • Write a book.

There it is. Write a book! I have been talking about writing a book for years. When I started reading the Harry Potter series I was so enthralled that I was going to start right then. But all I could think of was Harry Potter. Then I talked to my old companion Rachel in June and I mentioned that I originally I thought that I would use the extra time I had when I stayed home with the kids to write. HAH I am lucky to get two lines and a picture out on a blog once a week! So I think that I am going to re-committ. Here is what I need from you. What kind of book do you think that I should write? A grown-up book? Fiction? NOn fiction? A childrens book? A childrens chapter book. A smutty romance novel? A self help book. An LDS book etc. What do you think?

9 comments:

Shannon said...

I don't have any great ideas for you. But I do remember a cute poem you wrote about a frog prince. Do you remember that? So I vote for childrens story. Much shorter and more likely you'll finish. Plus you have your own guinea (sp?) pigs to try it out on. I wish you luck.

Shannon said...

On second thought. You'd write a great romance novel..don't leave out the smutt. Maybe you could combine a few generas like a romance novel for LDS children or a Non Fiction book about the trouble romance novels can get LDS children into. Think about it.

Anonymous said...

I vote for a children's book, maybe because I have always wanted to write a children's book. But shannon on a romance novel for LDs youth sounds good too. Which one would you like to do. That is the one you would do best at.

catherine said...

children's books are so fun. This whole week I have been reading a picture book a day to my 7th graders and they love them. Children's books are really for every age...which makes them the most versatile.

The Snow Queen said...

Hey nobody said self help or inspirational! Hmmm what does that say...

Taylor Swim said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be great at any kind. If you are writing a children's book you'll have to come up with an illustrator (unless you draw). My kids have been really into wordless picture books that tell a story. (goodnight Gorilla or Frog goes to dinner by Mercer Mayer) (the whole frog collection is good) just a thought.

The Snow Queen said...

Hey maybe I'll write a wordless picture book that Catherine illustrates. Yeah I think that's what I'll do. Oh yeah, my kids love the Frog books too. My favorite is Where the Wild Things Are.

catherine said...

I'm willing to give it a try...as your illustrator. Just keep in mind that if your book does not sell millions then it is the story not my illustrations... :)

Anonymous said...

Ideas for an illustrator, look at Eric Carl books. All the pictures are just cut and paste. You write the book by the time I get home and I will help you come up with ideas for Catherine to use to illustrate it.