Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Duhhh

Phoenix saying "Duh mom" afterhaving what looked to be some tasty brownies


Do you ever do things that even your kids want to say, "Duh mom"? Well I had one of those moments this morning. Phoenix had a doctors appointment at 9:30 so I got up and got Willow off to school and got Poppy and Phoenix ready for the day. Then we set off to Riverside (Kaiser) where the appointment was. I am now starting my 35 week of pregnancy and am huge. I can't walk very well because of sciatic nerve pain and the list could go on and on. So we find a parking spot and all get into the building. We find the right floor and stand in line to check in. Once we are up at the counter the kind receptionist says, "I think that there must be a mistake, your appointment isn't until TOMORROW at 9:30. Then I look at her and say, "but isn't today Thursday the 7th?" And by this point people are looking at us. (so much for patient confidentiality) She replies, "no sweetie today is Wednesday, but yes your appointment is on Thursay the 7th." So I thank her for her time and say that we will see her agian tomorrow, and waddle off. What can you do? Just shake your head and wonder if your brain really does fall out of your head when you have children. I used to be intelligent, and the thought of confusing a WHOLE DAY would have been absurd. The saddest part is that I wasn't even surprised! I didn't try to think of a good reason why I had mixed up the days. I didn't blame someone else. I just accepted that while laying on the couch or bed my brain must have leaked out my nose or ear or some other orifice without me knowing or caring much. Does your brain come back when your kids leave home or am I doomed to confusion for the rest of my life?




Oh and by the way I am SO bummed that Mitt Romney didn't do better yesterday. We might name this baby after him... Willard. That's not a joke so don't make funnies (Nick, I know it's hard to resist). Dave's always thought that he would have a son named Willard and I am not having any more sons, so either he needs a concubine, a second wife, or this baby gets the name Willard. I have a few others but we'll see hopefully soon we'll see.

11 comments:

Nick and Terryn said...

Resist.... come on, give me more credit than that. Willard is a nice name. In fact, there is a movie named Willard and he is a king. Anyways, if you don't have another boy I am sure Dave will do his best to clean the house a few more times!

We miss you in the Celestial Circle... MOVE BACK!


Nick

Taylor Swim said...

Willard and Willow--- too much Will for my taste. But hey, I can't talk, I named my kid Rugby. So yeah, do whatever you want to it's your baby. (public realization that pregnancy sucks your brains out is harsh-- but it does happen-- a lot, to everyone) You're in good company.

Heather said...

I so can relate to this sad story! My Aunt just did a post on six word memoirs and asked everyone to write one, mine went like this.....

Gave birth, lost many I.Q. points.

or

Eight years of interupted sleep,Kids

and last but not least

Gave birth,can't finish a thought.

Sad that these six word one liners sum up my life at the moment but I am hopeful................................see there I go again and can't finish a thought! Your not the only one!

Anonymous said...

It gets even worst the older you get. after you get to be a senior, forget about remembering any thing write it down and hope you don't lose your note.

Adam and Melisa said...

I don't think it's just a pregnancy thing...I think it's a kid thing...they suck it right out of you! See...you not only have to remember your appointments, but three...or 4 others as well. You get 4 people dressed every day... You brush 4 sets of teeth... You feed four people meals.... etc. etc. etc. Get my point! We won't even mention diapers or potty training!
Just hang in there...pretty soon that number will jump to 5! We can't wait to see pictures..and of course learn what name you picked!

Rebecca said...

At least you didn't break down crying when they told you you had the wrong day....I had one like that and all I could do was cry. Sadly, this was during my FIRST pregnancy so I really had nothing to complain about! You are almost there!! Someday it will all be worth it. BTW - it was great seeing you the other day at your OTHER doctors appt!

Shannon said...

I didn't give birth so what my problem?

Heather said...

Shannon- kids suck the life and brains out of you, you don't even have to give birth!

Nick and Terryn said...

Lets get back to the name game...


Davey, Have you heard the song Boll Weevil by The Presidents of the United States of America?

It could be your sons theme song!

Classic


Nick

Jellybean babies said...

Hey Mellisa. It was nice to see your comment on our blog. This is my first time posting a comment so consider yourself privilaged. I don't think it's having kids that depletes your brain; I think it's being married to Dave that has taken it's toll on your grey matter.

Shannon said...

Hey, what about Pippen for a name. Like the apple. Might be cute.