Sunday, February 3, 2008

Boy It's Hot!


Some of you out there have heard several little anecdotes or remembrences of President Hinckley that I have. Here is one that I thought was especially funny, I really think that it shows his witty personality too:


In October of 1994 (I think) I was a student at BYU. One of my roomates' dad's was a stake president and had tickets for General Conference. He was going to be flying out and my roomate Amy asked if I would like to join them for the conference session. I said, "Of course." I had only been to the Tabernacle a couple of times and I was actually thinking of going up there to wait in line to get in to the conference. The sound of walzing in 10 minutes before the session began instead of getting up at midnight to wait in line on the temple grounds was a fabulous plan.


We arrived at the conference session and went in and sat down. That year was unusually warm and the tabernacle does not have air conditioning so everybody was sweating. The first session was over and some people were out in the grounds but most were in their seats fanning themselves with papers. The next session was going to begin in a little while so some of the general authorities were coming back in to the Tabernacle. President Hinckley was one of these early ones. He got up and walked up to the pulpit and leaned on one elbow to the side of the pulpit and the crowd quieted. He looked so relaxed, he had a funny half grin on his face and he said, "Boy, it sure is hot in here isn't it?" The crowd murmured its assent. Then he straightened up and smiled big and said, "but it's not as hot as it's gunna get if you don't repent!" As he said it he shook his finger at the crowd. Nobody in the crowd made a noise. My roomate's dad leaned over and said, "I think it was a joke girls!" Then President Hinckley laughed like he thought it was the funniest thing. He liked seeing the whole congregation squirm! I can still see him smiling and even though it was a little disconcerting to hear the prophet tell you all to repent, I can't help but chuckle at his sense of humor. It would be one thing if your bishop or somebody else said it, but the prophet! Too funny.

He served with all his might, mind, and strength. Do any of you doubt where he went or what kind of greeting he got? I am excited that he got to go home, like I was when some of my companions went home. Their families waiting for them and their lives ready to take off. I know the relief and joy of serving a mission and at the end knowing that you did your best and that you accomplished the things the Lord had set out for you to do. It is an amazing feeling. I can only imagine what a lifetime of service to the Lord (in comparison to 18 months) must feel like. He fullfilled his mission here on the earth and was called home with honor. I want to say lucky, but I know luck had nothin' to do with it. He worked hard and endured many things. We are the lucky ones to have been the recipients of his service for so many years. The Halls of Heaven truly will quiet when we exclaim that we lived in the times of Gordon B. Hinckley!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had never heard that story before. what a great person he was. that is right we had better repent or it will be hot.

Anonymous said...

i had never heard that story before. what a great person he was. that is right we had better repent or it will be hot.

Taylor Swim said...

That was a priceless story! Thanks for the smile!