Saturday, October 18, 2008

I'm starting to get nasty emails again. That must mean it's time to update the blog. I've been getting a ton of Facebook stuff. I'm just not feeling the love. I'm also not feeling very funny lately. I found my BYU box. Dang I was funny. I was also footloose and fancy free. I'll post this weekend. I've got a draft going. Don't despair.

How are we all on costumes? I am making all but one of the kids costumes this year. Let me tell you, it is NOT cheaper to make them yourselves! Willow is going to be Cleaopatra, Poppy is going to be the Snow Queen, Phoeinx a hotdog or hamburger (he hasn't decided), and Lily is going to be a packet of ketchup. I love Halloween. It's my favorite holiday. If I were going to have a party... it would be a killer Annual Halloween Party. But since I don't have parties I guess you'll never know how cool it coulda been. You say Meliss why don't you have parties? Well I'll tell you why:

Picture it, Hemet about 4 years ago,(I miss the Golden Girls) my sister-in-law says lets have a party. I said, "sure" we can do it at my house. It was one of those parties where you go to buy stuff. You know the kind, we mormon women love to have them, where you go to buy something from someone else because they bought what you were selling. Pampered Chef, Southern Living, Cookie Lee, Layers, you name it we sell it. I made out the invitations, I sent out what seemed like a thousand, and I made the calls the day of. I cleaned my house. I STAYED home from teaching school that day to clean my house and set up. I made a spread of goodies to eat both savory and sweet. My sister in law invited her friends from work and we waited. The first hour passes and I thought oh everyone is late, the second hour passed and I thought did I put the wrong date on the invite? Then the third hour passed and I realized I was a looser. Soooo sad. I know you are laughing now and I know that most of you would say you are laughing with me and not at me, but it really wasn't funny. Therefore I avoid having parties. I haven't had anything here in Corona most of the ward hasn't even been in the house. I can count on my hand the number of people who have. Yep I'm a looser it's official.

10 comments:

Melenie said...

I hate those kind of parties with a passion - the kind where you feel like you have to buy something, not the Halloween ones. However, I'm sad that no one came to yours! I would be really mad, especially because I hate cleaning my house.
The Halloween costumes sound great! I can't wait to see the hotdog.

Dannette & Mark said...

Oh melissa...I remember!
It wasn't you...it was Cookie Lee(or me). Let's blame it on Cookie Lee.

You would have a fabulous Halloween party. We have had an annual pumpkin carving party. Fun...I provide everything and I clean up the mess of 25 pumpkins. I am not having one this year...tired of being the only one in the neighborhood to have a party and provide everything and clean up! so I am done.
I have a simular story. Memorial Day 2 years ago. I invited 10 families over for a potluck BBQ. We would provide the meat...everyone bring a side. 30 minutes after the designated time , 18 neighborhood kids show up empty handed in their swim suits. I had 18 children in my pool and not one adult neighbor! SO NO MORE PARTIES at the Barrs! I now figure my neighbors don't like me so I am not going to waste my energy on them. Sad huh? I feel your pain from the Cookie Lee night.

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

Hey thanks for giving us something new to read...it's about time! You know could you really have that same bad luck twice?

Heather said...

I have been to your house! I would come because I know how it feels!

Last year I gave a baby shower for a girl in my ward and it was a disaster! This girl is sweet and thoughtful and was the prmary pres. at the time. One of my friends did the invites and I hosted. There were four of us at the shower(me, my friend, preggo and her mother in-law). I felt horrible!!!!! My ward sucks! The relief society presidency and many others just figured everyone else was going since it was a "ward shower" so they figured one less would not matter! No more ward showers here!!!! I will host a real shower for friends but that is it!
So you can imagine when someone in my ward asked recently if they could give me a shower I answered "OVER MY DEAD BODY"!

Your Halloween costumes sound great! I can't wait to see the pics!

Shumway FAM said...

oh. melissa. i don't have parties either. I feel your pain. It's happened to me too. We're too partied OUT. that's the problem. I don't really even go to parties anymore.
You're such a fun writer. I love to read your blog. And it all fun and Hallo-weenie! Good on ya, for making costumes. You're a GR8 MOM!

Emily said...

Liar. You throw great parties! I've been to them! Let me know if you ever throw that Halloween party & we'll drive down.

The Snow Queen said...

Emily, I've never enjoyed being called a liar so much in my whole life. Shucks you really know how to make a girl feel special!

Taylor Swim said...

I'm on board for one of your Halloween parties but, I'd avoid the selling party like a disease! Those parties are my most hated thing in the world. It was the selling stuff-- NOT YOU! You might feel like a party weenie now but give yourself 3 years and you'll be back to your old self when the kids are more independent. Then it'll be party after party...

Brenda said...

Melissa, thank goodness you've posted again! Your blog is one of my favs. I'll bet you'd have a killer Halloween party - we used to party with your parents, I have Pictures(!) in my scrapbooks of all of us at our parties - Wheelchair races at Cherie T's 40th, Brenda D's "over the Hill party" - her 35th. Halloween parties through the years, etc.

Julie said...

Can't believe you're tackling 3 homemade Halloween costumes! Can't wait to see pictures of them on your blog.