Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fat Lady Store


If you shop at a fat lady store does that mean you're fat? (That was retorical, please don't answer.)I am so tired of trying to find the one 14 that Gap stocks. Or the Large at Banana Republic, I hate that the cut of the clothing is for someone who is a size 2. Do we not know that what works on a 2 will not work on a 14 even if it will button or zip? I am also sick of having two choices: youth-I'm 35 and trying to wear stuff that my 7 year old has on, or women-I'm 80 and think sequin needs to be on everything including t-shirts. So I put myself on a mission... find some stuff that fits, and that is comfortable. Notice I have given up on looking good. You'd think that I could at least find the other two. Nope. For a country that has a lot of obese, over weight people we sure do have a ton of retail stores that don't carry ANYTHING for our GROWING public. (Pun intended)Here's a news flash; the reason the retail market is going into the toilet isn't because of the economy it's because size 2 girls are 14-16yrs old and they can't afford to buy 95$ jeans. I'm 35 and I can... but do you think I can find any? I practically begged for someone to take my money, but alas you can only get size 12 and 14 online. Do they know why? Because the 2 they stocked were bought in the first 10 minutes they were out! I finally decided I was going to a PLUS SIZE STORE. They carry size 12-really big mama. since when is 12 a plus size?
So I went down to Lane Bryant to do my buisiness. You see I much prefer buying clothing for my children. They never look fat in anything. Their crack never hangs out of "super low rise" jeans. (Who wears those anyway?!!!) They never have to unbutton the top button because of bloating. And finally they never need to wear 15 layers underneath to cover or uncover their large white panties. The last time I bought something for myself was at Sam's Club. If you are not familiar with Sam's or Costco please GET OFF MY BLOG. There were some stretchy skirts for a bargain so I bought one in each color. My sister-in-law said aren't you going to try them on? I said, "NOPE".

Anyway heres how it went. I tried on every pair of pants in the store (like 27) I think I finally know what size I am. Between not shopping, babies, and (GOd's gift to women like me) sweat pants, I had no clue what size I should even be looking at. I went to Lane Bryant and was I amazed at what great things they have. All the clothes in there were modest. I didn't have to think about what I could wear under anything to make it "work". The pants cover my large behind without showing 10 inches of crack. I can honestly say I have never been so pleasantly surprised at how many great choices I had...

SO to all you SKINNY girls. Hope that camisole, t-shirt, belly band, and belt work for you... Oh and by the way your G's are still hanging out.


I'm going to have a mint and chocolate chip milkshake so that I can still wear Lane Bryant clothes another day.


24 comments:

Rebecca said...

I so understand you...in fact, I like being pregnant because those clothes are so easy to fit into, look cute and cover everything they should. I often wish they would make them about the same...just without the super large belly (maybe just a smaller one!)

Melenie said...

Here Here. This was a good post for me to read because I'm feeling bloated and chunky today and my pants are just a little too tight. I guess I'll have to check out that store so I can say I wear the smallest size they have.

Sundbergs said...

I am with you girl. I can never find jeans even if I can find some in my size. My butt is hanging out, and I hate that. I have one pair of jeans I don't even like them. I am always searching with no luck. Glad you found stuff you like.

Lorena said...

Melissa,
I love reading your blog!!!!
I will definitely have to go and check Lane Bryant soon. I need new clothes!

Heather said...

I almost wet my large white panties with this post!!!!! I here you ten fold! Although I have to say LB's shirts never fit me cause I don't have huge knockers!

Dan and Kathi, or Mimi and Papa said...

Melissa you make me laugh. I don't even feel bad about how much Closet Eating I did today. Love you Bunches and by the way you are not officialy 35 yet? or have I lost count?

Anonymous said...

Hope it is okay if I leave a comment? I am Suzy Fackrells sister and I linked in from her blog. I am rolling on the floor with your posts. It is so true about all the layers and the G's still hanging out! LOL I to am a 12 and very PROUD of it! I will have to try Lane Bryant...never thought of that. Thanks

The Snow Queen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Snow Queen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Ditto! Only I wish I were only a size 12.

Shannon said...

Girlie you crack me up. Now I want to come over and check out your new finds.

Emily said...

You're too funny. I hate shopping for the same reasons. Much more fun to shop for my skinny little girls. Next time I'm at the mall, which might not be for a while, I'll have to check out LB.

Micah and Tanya said...

Melissa you just made my day!

Unknown said...

first all if you say your fat then that means I am too...because i wear the same size. I like to think of myself as a beauty with curves (even if they are in the wrong places and exaggerated in others)

Taylor Swim said...

Your insight amazes me. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Anonymous said...

Big Butts! Your more interesting than I thought!

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

You are the most awesome person I have ever met. Was that proper english???? Hey I love the new picture. (Lily especially!)

Robertsons said...

you made my day!

Brenda said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, you crack me up Melissa! You sure don't look like a "14" in your pics, you are gorgeous! I personally am on my way to church this morning in a "mummu" type of outfit that I bought online! Seriously, though, Lane Bryant finally got a clue with their pants and they make them for short fat people, like me, and for people with hips or no hips, belly or no belly, etc.

Dannette & Mark said...

You cracked me up Melissa... just this week I went on the search for some jeans since the GAP in our mall has closed and my jeans are falling apart.
I went to The Buckle...Got a pair of Big Star jeans...Maddie has the highest back. Love the jeans. The best part is that I normally wear a 12 (all day long) and I was able to get a 30 which is a 10! Self esteem builder. The price is ok..$94
Also... Day Trip shirts... I was able to get a medium. Check it out!

Jennie Minor said...

LOL! I totally know how you feel, and in fact I feel the same way.
we need to get together and go shopping I love Lane Bryant. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa,
I want you to know that no matter how big your butt is, you will never look like a prostitute.
How come you keep deleting my comments?
I would like you to write the President and explain your very concise analysis of why the economy is in the toilet. Frankly, I think you've nailed it.
Enough blog stalking for tonight. Your shoving Nicole's cookie down your gullet was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. I need to get out more.

Dan and Kathi, or Mimi and Papa said...

I'm just doing a test, to see if my and Dad's photo I just added will show up.

emlizalmo said...

Oh man Melissa...you have just said everything I've wanted to. Heaven help us big girls. That's why I love dressing my littles. They look great in everything...I live vicariously. Off to my slim-jims for dinner! :)