Monday, February 23, 2009

Playdough is my NEMESIS


I know you might all think that play dough is fun and cute... but really it's the bane of any mothers existence. We hate it. It's messy and sticky and mixed with carpet makes you want to stick a fork in your eyeball. Yep that good. But here's the crux of it... in order for your children to grow up semi-normal you have to let them play with it. They need to squish it through their fingers, and take a tiny taste of it's salty bouquet. Children need to make figurines out of it and let them dry. How else are you going to know if they are true genius sculptors? They need to mix the colors until it is one solid clump of grey dough. They need to learn how to ball it up and roll it out into a snake. So what to do? Here's what to do BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES and whatever else. I declare this NATIONAL PLAY DOUGH DAY.


PS if it gets in your carpet, the easiest way to get it out is to let it dry, and then pick it out or cut that string or two out.


Here's a really good recipe that smells yummy (that way we KNOW the kids will want to eat it):


KOOL-AID PLAY DOUGH

Mix:
2 1/2 c. flour

1/2 c. salt

1 tbsp. alum

2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid (that's the little ones ladies)


Add to dry ingredients:
3 tbsp. oil

2 c. boiling water

Knead until well mixed. Let cool. May feel sticky at first, just keep working with it.

6 comments:

Melenie said...

Hell, I like to play with playdough! Forget the kids.

Dip-n-suck, that is disgusting! I better go clean my toilet right now.

Dannette & Mark said...

It looks like you took them to your mom's house to play! There's a solution...play dough at grandma Margene's ONLY!!!!

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

Are you trying to send me a message??? Can't we just come to grandma Margene's house next time you decide to play with play dough?

Adam and Melisa said...

And why do they always have to mix the colors...seriously!!!

Unknown said...

I just made that stuff for Rugby's class at school. His teacher is cool with that kind of creativity. It did smell edible though...

Andrea said...

Any friend of Emily's is a friend of mine! Thanks for stoppin' by my blog. What a small blog world, eh? Cjane and NieNie really bring people together - I think EVERYONE reads them.

So, I hear ya on the play dough. I dread it like the apocalypse (which is what my kitchen looks like when the kids are done playing with it). But, out of a necessity not to feel more guilt than is totally necessary, I indulge them.

Doesn't the Kool Aid play dough stain anything it touches? It seems like it would. If it doesn't, then I'm all for it!