Saturday, September 19, 2009

Seriously So Inspired


So I have really gotten into a blog called Seriously So Blessed. The author is Tamn and she is (perhaps) my idol. As most of you know I went to BYU, but I was not like most of the other girls who went to BYU. I refused to wear hairbows and bake cookies. I died my hair burgandy. (This was 15 years ago ladies). However, I ALWAYS, believed the church was true, and in so doing, I served faithfully in the callings I was asked to do, and volunteered to do a few extras. After waiting for several missionaries, I decided I wanted to go on a mission. So I did.

In the years that preceeded my mission, I was WILD. Not too wild, only wild enough to not be one of those frilly mormon girls. I wore Malboro t-shirts, I snuck my bikini into the pools. I listened to AC/DC and the Beastie Boys. It was so much fun. There were a few times when I got a little crazy with the wild and this is one of them.

At the rife old age of 19 I was hanging out with my friends in our apartment at the Riviera (THE RIV) and someone said, I think I want a tatoo. There was some assention in the group, so we DROVE to CALIFORNIA soon thereafter and got them. From the moment the first needle touched my unblemished white posterior I knew what I was doing was wrong... BUT I did it anyway. I will never understand what possesed me that day..but it wasn't good. So I marked myself. Not only did I mark myself, but I did it in rebellion. NOT GOOD. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Then came the guilt. The guilt of knowing. Knowedge is sometimes a terrible thing. So I felt this horrible weight all the time. Finally I decided to figure out what the H I was going to do. Either I was going to not feel guilty or I was going to get rid of the guilt one way or another I couldn't stand it anymore. So I did what I knew. I prayed. I prayed and I prayed. And I read the scriptures. One day I came across a passage in the BOM and it was about the Amlicites. They were sinning... not as bad as the Lamanites yet, but getting there. Then they MARKED their bodies with red to show their rebellion. (See ALMA 3:13-26)When I read that, I thought I was going to suffocate. I thought my throat closed so tight that I would die. That's exactly what I had done. In my desire to be different from all those other girls... I had marked my body (permanently) in rebellion with a small daisy flower. NOT GOOD. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

So I repented. A lot. I cried and I prayed and I repented. And the most wonderful thing in my life happened. I recieved and answer to my prayers.

Fast forward two years. I have turned in my paperwork, and was called to the Chile Santiago West Mission. I went to the MTC, which was an experience in and of itself, and arrived in Chile. My trainer Hermana M was lovely and she took me to work. Then the next day we went to church. Sunday nights were P-Day Eve. All the elders and sisters got together in their zones to turn in their numbers for the week and we went. Hermana M had talked about our zone leader. She said he was (breathlessly) wonderful. When we arrived I knew I was in trouble. Elder J was someone who I knew from before. He had been shown my small mark of rebellion in a parking lot of Taco Bell. Bare body parts had seemed a lot funnier before. Anyway, he looked at me and couldn't place me. My hair was now in the sister missionary mode, and the long skirt and birkenstocks were very different than the sundress and bare bottom he had seen before. He said, "Do we know each other?" I said, "NO, I don't think so." LIE LIE LIE the spirit told me. He studies me carefully and then seems to forget. A rousing game of Uno sucks me in and I hope that my previous nakedness has been forgotten. But alas, it wasn't to be. About an hour later he stands from across the room and points at me. All the elders and my comp look at me. Elder J yells, "I DO KNOW YOU! WE USED TO CALL YOU BUNNY!" at that moment I knew it was all over. His eyes got wide when all the little cogs in his brain finally snapped into place. His mouth fell open and he wispered, "you have a tatoo." All the heads in the room slowly turned from his face to me. Then, 10 other mouths fell open too. Elder J said softly, "I know who you are." That's when the wild child caught up to me. First full day of the mish and I'm already outed.

15 comments:

Melenie said...

Where exactly is this tattoo? That's a funny story from your mission. :)

Brenda said...

Who knew? It's amazing the things we do when we're young and I would say practically everyone has done something similiar and been sorry. Thank goodness for repentence!

Anonymous said...

There are worse things than a tattoo! Don't act like because you got one you had to repent or would go to hell! Give me a break!!!!

Emily said...

Bunny, you are such a good writer! (& I love SSB too.) I love this story. So not fair that you ran into that guy again. Sounds like one of those "so what do I do when the kids ask about..." stories. Mom, did YOU ever get a tattoo? :)

And are there worse things? I don't think so. I mean, it obviously prevented you from meeting your eternal companion until after your mish & you did grow up to be a WORKING MOM. But then again, you do make hair bows for your girls now, so maybe there's still hope for you.

I still love you!!! :)

Sara said...

Melissa, I hope you don't mind, I found your blog on Emily Hansen Williams' blog list. You are hilarious! I LOVED this story! Aren't we all wild at some point in our lives? I know I sure was:) Check out my blog if you wish! Take care, Sara Tuckett
hultfamilyhappenings.blogspot.com

The Snow Queen said...

Dear anonymous,
I know there are many things worse than a tatoo where nobody can see it. Soo many things that are sooo much worse. So very much worse. Don't take me too seriously nobody else does!

Julie said...

And I heard about your tatoo from MY missionary in Chile. Then word spread to your family, right? Oops. Sorry. Loved reading the story. You're too funny. Love ya!

Taylor Swim said...

You are so in for it when your kids start asking about it. Then the real stories will begin. I do love your stories. You are one entertaining girlie!

Adam and Melisa said...

At least it's a cute little Daisy..and not some skull or something!! Thanks for sharing!...I never knew you were so rebellious!

Shannon said...

I have seen this tattoo but I have never heard that story. I know you were embarrassed, but I'm still giggling.

Heather said...

You have a gift for writing! I too love SSB, so cracks me up!

williamsfam5 said...

I love every bit of you. And you know what Pres always said, our mission was full of miracles. You couldn't have arranged that to happen on your first day of the mission if you tried.

emlizalmo said...

Oh Melissa...this is hilarious! Why DID we call you Bunny? You can plead the 5th if you want. :) I love you. You have always walked to your own beat. I remember from the first moment I met you back in 1991, wanting to be more like you. Cool and confident. Man, our mistakes sure do catch up with us, huh? Now we can use them to teach, right? :)

Unknown said...

Great story. I hate it when the past catches up, but what can you do? Glad you can laugh about it because I am laughing my butt off. However, that's easy for me to do. I have never had anyone call me Bambi since then! Has Cookie ever heard this story?

Violet said...

Hahaha!!!! I just can't stop laughing. I have a good story but not quite that good Bunny. I had a wild and crazy night on a beach in Hawaii. Not too wild but enough to make me regret it and do a lot of repenting. So I get to my mission a year later and find out that the AP is brothers with one of the guys that was there. It was a little awkward saying hi to him on a video he was making for home. I still have no idea if is brother told him the whole story, maybe he didn't want to admit he was there too. :0)Thanks for the laugh!