Thursday, July 31, 2008

New Dawn(no that's not it) New Eclipse (not that either) Dawn.. something, New Moon, (Crap, no. no . no) BREAKING DAWN (Thanks Rebecca)

This weekend the saga of Edward and Bella will continue. I will be at Barnes and Noble along with all the hords of teenie boppers to get my copy. I will do nothing this weekend except read until I am finished and then I will be disappointed that it is all over with and now I must begin the wait again. I do this with authors that I love. I did it with Patricia Cornwell, I did it with JK Rowling and various others. I thought I would throw out a theory to all who have the courage to read my pontifications. Wordy as they may be...

I am obviously on Team Edward. If you truly think that Bella could be happy with Jacob then stop here. We cannot be friends because you just don't get me...(just kidding, I'm always up for a spirited debate this just isn't it). Ever since they introduced Leah into the mix of the werewolves it has seemed strange to me that Stephanie Meyers (heretofore known as SM) would choose to use Jacob and Leah together as names and not have some deeper meaning. SM is LDS which most of us know, she also graduated from my alma mater BYU. She, therefore, is well versed in the Bible. We all had to take religion classes to gradamacate from the Y. She KNOWS the story of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah. Jacob is in love with Rachel, and he goes to her father to ask for her in marriage. At the time, the oldest sister Leah had not yet been married off. (I feel your pain Leah... when my younger sibling got married before me I felt like a leper.I digress) Jacob had to work for Rachel's father for 7 years to get Rachel and on the day of the wedding/wedding night Leah dressed up in Rachel's clothes and Jacob married Leah instead. Let's not go into the fact that good ole' Jake couldn't tell them apart... It is no coincidence that SM used Jacob and Leah. She's the wife/lover that he got not the one he wanted! He wanted Bella but in the end he will be with Leah who understands his pain as well as his instincts. SM was leading us into this when she gave us the tidbit with Jacob languishing over Bella and Leah there to help him through it. Bella will NOT end up with Jacob. It is unclear to me whether Jacob imprinted on Bella or if he can still imprint on Leah even though they have already "seen" each other. I know that sometimes you can "see" someone in a totally different way than you have before in certain circumstances. Maybe after his sojourn into his natural/carnal side he will become someone who is more thoughtful and imprint. Maybe he will meet the only other wolf who transfigured and never came back. I can't wait for the saga of Jacob to continue either. There certainly are arguments that he became what Bella needed, but she belongs to Edward.

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

ok first of all...it's "Breaking Dawn". Now that's cleared up...:) I love your thoughts. I've always felt that Leah had some role to play for Jacob but I never drew the parallel to the biblical Leah. Very good!!! Did you catch the spoiler SM released? Oh, and in some interviews with SM, she said that Jacob did not imprint on Bella. I suppose she could've been lying but I doubt it. I too will be sad when this is over but I really can't wait to read it!! Maybe I'll see you at B&N!!

The Snow Queen said...

We should all get together and buy the book then go out to breakfast at midnight at Denny's like we used to after the dances. Thanks for the correction, somebody shoot me!LOL I actually figured that Jacob didn't imprint on Bella because with all the others it was very clear and very spelled out, with Bella the whole issue of Jacob imprinting was kinda skirted around.

Lorena said...

Melissa,
Ditto...I can't wait for the book!
I of course was not around when you used to go to eat at Denny's after dances...but you can totally count on me to go with you after we get our books at Barnes and Noble to eat breakfast. :-)

Taylor Swim said...

Alright already... I'll read the books. I have a hard time believing that a book about a vampire could be that good. I saw it at every airport books store and I was tempted but the skeptic in me won. I'll give it a try...

Dan and Kathi, or Mimi and Papa said...

Wow You really get DEEP into you reading. I just read for fun,Or maybe I'm just not that smart. I'd never make it in a book club with you and your friends. But after reading your comments I think I'll go back and re-read the first 3 befor I pick-up Book 4.

Julie said...

Yes, Leca you should read them! They're very good. Lis, have you read/did you like "The Host?"

I also think she she be with Edward (although I obviously haven't done near as much thinking about it as you have), but I read that Stephenie Meyers is on "Team Jacob" so that worries me a little.

Christina said...

Ashley just read Twighlight for the first time in just 36 hours or so and then went back to read her favorite parts! This has never happened to my daughter. Ususally it takes her months to finish anything including Harry Potter. Is this book some kind of mind controlling cult or something? :)

Christina said...

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm all for Denny's but I'm not reading the books yet... Until someone breaks me down.

The Snow Queen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike and Kim said...

Olivia and I went to Walmart yesterday and got Breaking Dawn. As we were driving home I asked her if she remember the other books. She thought for a minute and then asked if we could go to the library to check out the other books. The library only had book 2. So then we went back to Walmart and bought all three. And Olivia has only come out of her room for food, church, and a visit from a good friend.

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

I read your first paragraph, but stopped at the second. I don't want to spoil any of the goodness. I just hope these books are as good as everyone says they are...or is it just big joke on me???

Rebecca said...

it was good to see you there the other night! did you enjoy the book? I loved it! No spoilers for those reading this but it was a great ending for me...and i was even a bit surprised!

Kris said...

Hi! It was fun to hear from you on my blog!
This Twilight craze is amazing!